Summer Camp for med students
So as the title suggests, the past few days have not exactly been intensive. As some of you may or may not know, I went out to school a month early to participate in a special program for people who want to do primary care (which I am 90% sure I want to do). Since I left everything sooooo last minute, I had to stay at an extended stay hotel that came with a little kitchenette since my lease doesn't start until August. It was great, cuz it gave me the chance to join in a "social hour" where I could mingle with 40-50 year old travelling businessmen, as well as enjoy the lovely sound of screaming kids running down the hallway at all hours of the night. Thankfully, on my first day in the program, I met a nice girl who offered me a room in her apartment in exchange for having the honor of bathing in the sunny aura of my charismatic and buddha-like personality both inside and outside of the classroom. Or else I think maybe she felt sorry for me. Either way, I am no longer living out of a suitcase (entirely), and I'll be moving into a real home in August.
So far in the program we spent three hours drawing a poster showing our "life map", which involved me drawing pictures of Japanese pagodas (that looked like sugar cubes stuck on toothpicks) and stick figures meant to represent scottish people. Luckily, since this is med school, none of them could really draw all that well, so all of our creations were equally atrocious. Other activities we have participated in so far were getting our ID badges (very cool - it says medical student on it!!!), eating sandwiches, and acting out an ethical situation wherein I played a recalcitrant patient who didn't want to go to the hospital. I was blackmailed (both emotionally and otherwise) by the other students who played my doctor, my children, and my grandson into checking into the hospital, and we all apparently learned how to handle a difficult patient situation.
All I can say is that if the rest of medical school is this easy, I am in like Flynn. However, it will not be, so prepare yourself for many posts involving me crying like a baby with colic about how much work I have to do.
Miss you all like crazy and wish I could transport you here!
So far in the program we spent three hours drawing a poster showing our "life map", which involved me drawing pictures of Japanese pagodas (that looked like sugar cubes stuck on toothpicks) and stick figures meant to represent scottish people. Luckily, since this is med school, none of them could really draw all that well, so all of our creations were equally atrocious. Other activities we have participated in so far were getting our ID badges (very cool - it says medical student on it!!!), eating sandwiches, and acting out an ethical situation wherein I played a recalcitrant patient who didn't want to go to the hospital. I was blackmailed (both emotionally and otherwise) by the other students who played my doctor, my children, and my grandson into checking into the hospital, and we all apparently learned how to handle a difficult patient situation.
All I can say is that if the rest of medical school is this easy, I am in like Flynn. However, it will not be, so prepare yourself for many posts involving me crying like a baby with colic about how much work I have to do.
Miss you all like crazy and wish I could transport you here!

2 Comments:
At least it's not band camp. Maybe you'll have arts and crafts and design your own scrubs. That'd be hot
Come on already, we're jonesing for a new post here!!
Post a Comment
<< Home