Ranty McRant Rant
After running into the 5th or 6th consecutive problem with my apartment complex, I have finally decided to share my misery with all of you. I got roped into signing a lease to this apartment (a hitherto unknown axis of evil) mostly because I got so sick when I first came out here to look for a place to live, and then had to put off the search until it was way too late. Looking on the school of medicine forum, I found a group of girls also starting their first year who I could join up with. I was really grateful for this, considering how desperate I was to find a place and how late in the process I found myself to be. So the only girl in our group who was in the area went ahead and reserved us for this complex, being the best place that still had rooms for a group of four.
I will go ahead and list the problems I have had with this place:
1) After signing the lease and waiting for a few weeks, I call to ask what my address will be (needing to give information to movers, car titles, friends, family, etc.). They said that they didn’t have the information but could get it to me by early July.
2) Early July rolls around and they say that there is no way they can assign us a room number yet, but call them around mid-July and the should probably have it.
3) Keep in mind that for every time I successfully contacted my leasing agent, I left two messages and called three or four times before this could happen.
4) Mid-July rolls around and I call them on a Monday. My leasing agent isn’t in so I should call tomorrow.
5) It’s tomorrow, and she’s still not in.
6) Wednesday now. I call and finally get another girl to answer my question. I find out that instead of assigning us, they are having us all choose where we want to live. Someone has to go in and figure out where we will go. At this point I am the only one in town, so I e-mail all the girls in my group, find out where we all want to live, and make an appointment to go in on Thursday to pick a place.
6 ½) This place is not the 1.2 miles from campus they claimed. I mean, yes, if I walk there, it is 1.2 miles. But if you take a car, you have to go the long way (since the short way involves crossing a footpath over a creek), and it is 12-15 minutes by car with traffic.
7) I go in and they can’t show me the inside of any of the choices. I have to look at it from the outside and make the decision. Fine. I pick one that looks okay (From the outside) and has a nice view of the pool.
8) Friday I get a call from the girl who was originally helping me saying the one I chose was not available. I choose another one.
9) One week later. I drop in to get a copy of the lease. The $400 gift card we were promised for moving in there has been mysteriously dropped to $200.
10) One of my future roommates drops in to the leasing agent’s office to see the place and see if they’ll let her move in early. The leasing agent says they can if the place is clean, so they all walk over there to find out. Not only is it not clean, but it still has all the stuff from the previous tenants still in it. There is no way the apartment will be ready in time for the 8/1 move-in date. So now the roommate is asked to pick another apartment (keep in mind all the good ones have now been picked). She picks a new one that at least is empty and decently close to the place where the shuttles pick up.
11) As of my 8/1 move-in date, the room I am supposed to move in to is still dirty.
12) What next? I’m scared to find out.
I will go ahead and list the problems I have had with this place:
1) After signing the lease and waiting for a few weeks, I call to ask what my address will be (needing to give information to movers, car titles, friends, family, etc.). They said that they didn’t have the information but could get it to me by early July.
2) Early July rolls around and they say that there is no way they can assign us a room number yet, but call them around mid-July and the should probably have it.
3) Keep in mind that for every time I successfully contacted my leasing agent, I left two messages and called three or four times before this could happen.
4) Mid-July rolls around and I call them on a Monday. My leasing agent isn’t in so I should call tomorrow.
5) It’s tomorrow, and she’s still not in.
6) Wednesday now. I call and finally get another girl to answer my question. I find out that instead of assigning us, they are having us all choose where we want to live. Someone has to go in and figure out where we will go. At this point I am the only one in town, so I e-mail all the girls in my group, find out where we all want to live, and make an appointment to go in on Thursday to pick a place.
6 ½) This place is not the 1.2 miles from campus they claimed. I mean, yes, if I walk there, it is 1.2 miles. But if you take a car, you have to go the long way (since the short way involves crossing a footpath over a creek), and it is 12-15 minutes by car with traffic.
7) I go in and they can’t show me the inside of any of the choices. I have to look at it from the outside and make the decision. Fine. I pick one that looks okay (From the outside) and has a nice view of the pool.
8) Friday I get a call from the girl who was originally helping me saying the one I chose was not available. I choose another one.
9) One week later. I drop in to get a copy of the lease. The $400 gift card we were promised for moving in there has been mysteriously dropped to $200.
10) One of my future roommates drops in to the leasing agent’s office to see the place and see if they’ll let her move in early. The leasing agent says they can if the place is clean, so they all walk over there to find out. Not only is it not clean, but it still has all the stuff from the previous tenants still in it. There is no way the apartment will be ready in time for the 8/1 move-in date. So now the roommate is asked to pick another apartment (keep in mind all the good ones have now been picked). She picks a new one that at least is empty and decently close to the place where the shuttles pick up.
11) As of my 8/1 move-in date, the room I am supposed to move in to is still dirty.
12) What next? I’m scared to find out.

3 Comments:
Whoa! Cool down there Ms. Ranty McRant Rant!
Ugh. Horrible. Maybe the apartment complex is run by Dish Network...bastards that they are.
You guys sound like your getting the big time "run around". That's aweful! Maybe it's time to make the big threat to "report them" to the leasing agents!!!! For some reason that always seems to work!
Post a Comment
<< Home