Hurray for the weekend!
It is friday afternoon, and I'm going to do a little more homework before taking the REST OF THE NIGHT OFF!!!!
Yes, you heard it - I am almost frothing at the mouth with excitement at the prospect of a whole night off from studying over the weekend. Saturday and sunday I still have to trudge my way through mountains of biochemistry and anatomy review, but darn it! I at least get one night to have fun! Part of the reason for this frenetic weekend schedule is - you guessed it - another bout of online quizzes - first in anatomy, then in biochemistry. And yes, they are only worth 2% each of my entire semester grade, but I still will go way overboard studying for it. But this really goes beyond the grade, and I can break up the reasons into two, no wait, three categories:
1) "I wanna be the best doctor I can be" - this isn't just about getting a good grade (or in the case of medical school, where the average MCAT is a 33 and GPA a 3.7, a mediocre grade), it's about being able to understand and feel comfortable with all the knowledge I need to be a good doctor. If the patient comes in with numbness in two of his fingers and I have no idea what nerves are involved, I am clearly not being the best doctor I can be. Getting an A in anatomy means nothing if I have no knowledge to back it up.
2) Keeping up - The main point of these quizzes is not to give us grades, but to make sure we are keeping up with the material. There is so much stuff being thrown at us, and it is so easy to think you are keeping up when in fact, you don't know what you need to know in enough detail, or worse, you don't understand it at all. These quizzes are sort of letting us know how well we're keeping up.
3) Hysterical studying - when all your classmates and friends are studying all weekend, what else are you going to do? You don't want to be the only schmuck getting drunk on saturday and sleeping off the hangover all day sunday. Not to mention how GUILTY everyone makes you feel when, after telling them you plan to spend the weekend relaxing, they say, "oh, wow, well, good luck with that...."
Nonetheless - tonight... I am relaxing.
Yes, you heard it - I am almost frothing at the mouth with excitement at the prospect of a whole night off from studying over the weekend. Saturday and sunday I still have to trudge my way through mountains of biochemistry and anatomy review, but darn it! I at least get one night to have fun! Part of the reason for this frenetic weekend schedule is - you guessed it - another bout of online quizzes - first in anatomy, then in biochemistry. And yes, they are only worth 2% each of my entire semester grade, but I still will go way overboard studying for it. But this really goes beyond the grade, and I can break up the reasons into two, no wait, three categories:
1) "I wanna be the best doctor I can be" - this isn't just about getting a good grade (or in the case of medical school, where the average MCAT is a 33 and GPA a 3.7, a mediocre grade), it's about being able to understand and feel comfortable with all the knowledge I need to be a good doctor. If the patient comes in with numbness in two of his fingers and I have no idea what nerves are involved, I am clearly not being the best doctor I can be. Getting an A in anatomy means nothing if I have no knowledge to back it up.
2) Keeping up - The main point of these quizzes is not to give us grades, but to make sure we are keeping up with the material. There is so much stuff being thrown at us, and it is so easy to think you are keeping up when in fact, you don't know what you need to know in enough detail, or worse, you don't understand it at all. These quizzes are sort of letting us know how well we're keeping up.
3) Hysterical studying - when all your classmates and friends are studying all weekend, what else are you going to do? You don't want to be the only schmuck getting drunk on saturday and sleeping off the hangover all day sunday. Not to mention how GUILTY everyone makes you feel when, after telling them you plan to spend the weekend relaxing, they say, "oh, wow, well, good luck with that...."
Nonetheless - tonight... I am relaxing.

5 Comments:
Good job on taking the night off! It's important to maintain a sane mental status, because being the best doctor you can be generally requires the use of your arms, and in a straight jacket, I don't think I could do much. Don't worry - you're doing great!
Good thing we didn't have to study like this in law school . . . ;-)
KT, I know you'll do great -- taking time out to relax is key, you should do it often. Love & FBADY, ERG
Katie, Katie, Katie...what could I possibly put up here that could make up for your brutally critical comments this afternoon? Since you studied all weekend, I guess the meanest thing I could do is give you a concerned look and say: "Katie, you look really tired."
SO RUDE! But I deserve it for being so mean about your scalpal technique. For real, though, your reflection of the rectus abdominus is beyond reproach!
OK, you guys are officially med school geeks . . .
Post a Comment
<< Home