Get Lost....
With a new season of "Lost" premiering last night, a whole new, hitherto unknown element in my school has emerged. Before going further, let me first explain that for some reason or another, I managed to completely miss the "Lost" train. Maybe I was too busy getting into Grey's Anatomy, or maybe I was just too busy, but somehow, "Lost" fell by the wayside. And if that were not shocking enough, none of my friends were into "Lost" either! So as a result, I had a very skewed idea of what this program really means to a large proportion of the U.S. TV-watching population. Oh sure, I had heard the occasional news snippet about how Lost fans would gather in bars to watch the show, or would maintain websites positing all sorts of bizarre "Lost"theories. But I thought this was a relatively fringe phenomenon, akin to those Goths in High School who went to see Rocky Horror Picture Show every weekend.
Well, I was wrong! "Lost" seems to be more than just a TV show; it is a way of life. I made the mistake of asking one friend (deep in discussion with a fellow "Lost" fanatic) if the show was about people trapped on an island. His response: "I really can't even begin to explain that to you". I imagine if I had asked my anatomy professor what all those white, hard things in our cadavers that all the muscles are attached to were, I would have gotten a similar response, laced with disdain for my huge level of ignorance.
Yet despite being markedly behind the "Lost" learning curve, I am intrigued. What TV show, spewed out of the powerbook of yet another hollywood hack, could possibly stir up this much interest and mystery? I spend 2 1/2 minutes discussing whether or not McDreamy and Grey will finally hook up in Grey's anatomy after watching an episode, while "Lost" fans spend days trying to analyze secret messages in pig latin written on the left sock of the guy who appeared in a dream to the girl who mysteriously vanished.
On the other hand, there is the part of me that wants to resist. What if I get sucked in forever? What if I spend weeks playing all the episodes backwards so I can see if they predict what will happen next season? Aren't I dorky enough?
But I gotta go. Grey's will be on soon. :-)
Well, I was wrong! "Lost" seems to be more than just a TV show; it is a way of life. I made the mistake of asking one friend (deep in discussion with a fellow "Lost" fanatic) if the show was about people trapped on an island. His response: "I really can't even begin to explain that to you". I imagine if I had asked my anatomy professor what all those white, hard things in our cadavers that all the muscles are attached to were, I would have gotten a similar response, laced with disdain for my huge level of ignorance.
Yet despite being markedly behind the "Lost" learning curve, I am intrigued. What TV show, spewed out of the powerbook of yet another hollywood hack, could possibly stir up this much interest and mystery? I spend 2 1/2 minutes discussing whether or not McDreamy and Grey will finally hook up in Grey's anatomy after watching an episode, while "Lost" fans spend days trying to analyze secret messages in pig latin written on the left sock of the guy who appeared in a dream to the girl who mysteriously vanished.
On the other hand, there is the part of me that wants to resist. What if I get sucked in forever? What if I spend weeks playing all the episodes backwards so I can see if they predict what will happen next season? Aren't I dorky enough?
But I gotta go. Grey's will be on soon. :-)

3 Comments:
Are you lost? No word to home base...
Don't start watching -- no good can come of it. Stick with Grey's . . .
You can download it rrom Itunes I think..that way you can justify watching it from the beginning....(no commericials).
Post a Comment
<< Home