Thursday, December 13, 2007

Toothache, or somatization disorder?




My next exam is psychiatry, and instead of actually studying it, I am going to try to apply it to myself (which is really what all medical students actually do anyway - why do you think so many of us go to student health all the time?). So here are the facts:

As you all read in the last post, the motivation is gone, and I don't even care (that's my party line right now). But there must still be a part of me that is uptight, because as soon as exam week started, I got a toothache. There is clearly a part of me that wants to freak out over exams, and if I'm not going to accept that, then my tooth is just going to keep on aching. So, according to my psych notes (that I am currently NOT actually studying, despite looming exam tomorrow morning), I am somaticizing my anxieties into a physical ailment - in my case, a toothache.

Too bad I am not practicing, or I could charge myself $200 for that diagnosis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home